Garnet,

Is this gene exclusive to dogs, or is it found in humans also?

Sally

Garnet <garnetri...@earthlink.net> wrote:
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 00:10, David W Kenney wrote:
> No...one person did go blind and almost caused DMSO to be taken off the
> market totally. This all happened when they first learned of its
> properties to relieve inflammation (and pain) in arthritis which is how it
> was usually used. People would rub it on sore joints. It wasn't rabbits.
> However since there have been few if any problems with DMSO in the last 30
> years it suggests that DMSO wasn't the etiology of the blindness anyway.

Rabbits are the medical model for study eye effects of pharmaceutical
agents. Problem is that they are uniquely sensitive to DMSO so are not
consider a valid model for humans in this instance. Dogs too have been
reported to have some occular effects with prolonged use. I still use
DMSO and CS in my dogs eyes, just cleared up a case of conjunctivities
in a puppy this week by spraying 20% DMSO and CS several hourly -- it
cleared in less than 10 hours! I did use a bit of Gentocin ointment,
maybe two applications in between the DMSO CS spray. My 5 mo old puppy
was so happy when her eye stopped hurting and was obviously grateful for
the assitance.

> This is much like the study of Ivomectin in animals. In the studies of
> 10,000 or so dogs...1 collie died. So it is not approved for collies.
> However...the average age of the whole group was higher than that expected
> for the number of animals studied and the length of the study...so in effect
> they could have added the wording "Extends lifespan" if they so desired and
> would have been correct as far as the research was concerned. And, the
> collie might well have died a natural death rather than it being caused by
> the drug. This is a problem with any study, is it not?

We own Australian Shepherds, a collie derived breed that sometimes
exhibits this sensitivity. It is due to the MDR1 gene, and individuals
with this gene are also sensitive to anesthetics, chemo therapy agents
and other drugs. There is an inexpensive genetic test. Something that
most well intenetioned pet owners should have done if they have a breed
that is known to sometimes exhibit the effects of this gene. One
certainly needs to know if a dog is sensitive to anesthetics before
something comes up.

Garnet

List maintainer: Mike Devour