I believe that one need not be rich or expensively educated to discover important things. If you spend some time studying those things that interest you, you may have a breakthrough.

Note that the creator of the periodic table of the elements, for example, was "just" a high school chemistry teacher. The great Faraday started as a "mere" bookbinder. You and all the rest of us may be capable of far, far more than we imagine.