This may be impossible to do while the guy is in a doctors care, but here goes:

Tape a silver electrode above the affected area and one below it, or two long electrodes on either side of the area.
If the area is very deep, go with a long [+] electrode that surrounds the area and a [-] one on the opposite side of the body. The [-] electrode can be any metal.
Connect the two with one to three AA cells depending on the distance between and surface area of the electrodes and keep the electrodes wet with CS. [An absorbent substance helps here] If any discomfort is felt, reduce voltage or increase electrode surface area.

This is called iontophorosis, a direct injection of ions through the skin with the placement of the electrodes directing the flow of those ions along a path of least resistance.
A doctor "might" have heard of it...some very few have done it.

I did this on a very deep cat bite and had zero infection and very fast healing.
There is a hitch though...Would that wound have been infected and healed as fast without doing that?

Anyhow, I think it did a fine job, I just can't prove it.

Look into using silverlon bandages while incorporating a low voltage low current power source.
CS makes a fine electrolyte.

PS
I didn't tell you this.
Ode