This is the first of two parts to this post.

>The holy Grail of science, "The International Union
of Pure and Applied Chemistry," defines an ion as "An
atomic or molecular particle having a net electrical
charge." to me this definition rather muddles the
water.<

The following is a copy of a previous post I made to
the list, inviting comment, but which never came. I
have added further commentary to attempt to clarify my
points. I have also used the * symbol to replace the
quotation mark, which does not usually make it here.

It seems to me that one of the biggest barriers to
competent discussion of the subject of *colloidal*
silver, or *ionic* silver, or *EIS* is the lack of a
common definition of these terms. Add to this the fact
that we define these words differently than the
scientific/medical world, and confusion reigns. I
recently quoted at length in a previous post from
something a friend sent me that turned out to have
come from Frank Keys website. www.silver-colloids.com
I will comment on his statements later in this post.

When I began to search the internet for definitions,
one of the first I found was Nenah Sylver. The
following is from her website:

What is *Colloidal* and what is *Ionic*?

When Definitions Can Confuse:

*Colloidal* vs. *Ionic* minerals; defining *Colloidal*
Silver

In an effort to strike it rich in the health market, a
few vocal advocates promote what they call *colloidal
minerals*, claiming that these minerals are fine
enough to be easily absorbed by the body. But the main
definition of *colloid* is simply any substance that
is broken down into minute particles and dispersed
throughout a second substance (usually a liquid)-and,
by definition, a colloid is too large to pass through
a living membrane. Further confirmation of the
uselessness or outright danger of these *colloidal
minerals* comes from recent investigators who warn
that since the ancient plant beds from which these
minerals are derived are fossilized, the minerals are
actually rock (an inorganic source) rather than plants
- which makes them inassimilable.

In contrast to the above, other liquid mineral
supplements on the market are excellent, quickly and
easily absorbed by the body. They are mistakenly
called *colloidal* and should really be termed ionic
or crystalloid minerals, since the particles are tiny
enough to pass through living membranes and therefore
can conduct an electrical charge.

Adding to the confusion about the word *colloid* is
yet another definition: any substance in solution
through which an electrical charge was passed to break
it down. Colloidal silver falls into this category. In
this instance, the use of an electrical charge through
pure silver causes the silver to break apart into fine
enough particles so that the silver can penetrate cell
membranes in the body and microbes as small as
viruses. Electrified silver is used as a germicide for
a variety of illnesses. What most people call
*colloidal* silver is really ionic. Silver particles
can only do their job when they are small enough to
permeate a cell wall.

[From Ninah Sylver]

In the previous, Nenah uses particle size to
differentiate between *ionic* and *colloidal*.

Next, I found this definition on *mywiseowl.com*:

A colloid or colloidal dispersion, is a form of matter
intermediate between a true solution and a mixture
(suspension). Microscopic particles of one substance,
said to be in the dispersed or solute phase, are
distributed throughout another, said to be in the
dispersing, continuous, or solvent phase.

The field was introduced in 1861 by Scottish scientist
Thomas Graham.

Colloidal sizes range from 0.001 to 1 micrometers in
any dimension. Dispersions where the particle size is
in this range are referred to as colloidal aerosols,
colloidal emulsions, colloidal foams, or colloidal
suspensions. Colloids may be colored or translucent
because of the Tyndall effect. The Tyndall effect is
the scattering of light by particles in the colloid.

http://www.mywiseowl.com/articles/Colloid

Then, I found this one:

Colloid:
Microscopic particles suspended in some sort of liquid
medium. The particles are between one nanometer and
one micrometer in size and can be macromolecules.

http://www.thebiotechdictionary.com/term/colloid

Looking at *ions*, I found this on *whatis.com*:

ion
An ion is an atom or group of atoms in which the
number of electrons is different from the number of
protons. If the number of electrons is less than the
number of protons, the particle is a positive ion,
also called a cation. If the number of electrons is
greater than the number of protons, the particle is a
negative ion, also called an anion.

A compound, as well as individual atom, can be
ionized. [silver nitrate is a compound; it is also
ionic - Terry] A common example is nitrate, which
consists of a nitrogen atom and 3 oxygen atoms (NO3)
in the form of an anion; this is symbolized NO3 -
because it normally has a surplus of a single
electron.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci859894,00.html

The thing that I noticed was how different this was
than how we use these words. Generally speaking, we
tend to say *colloidal* when we mean particles small
enough to float (stay in suspension) in liquid without
having to be joined to a protein to stabilize the
suspension. But, in fact, even mayonnaise is
considered to be a colloid, and the silver proteins
that we eschew are also colloids. According to
*mywiseowl*, colloidal sizes range from 0.001 to 1
micrometers. According to Ninah Sylver (and other
sources as well), a colloid is a particle too big to
pass through a cell membrane. Not being able to pass
through cell membranes, the benefits of colloidal
silver would happen in the blood stream, as the silver
particles come into contact with pathogens there, but
not within the cell.

When we use the word, *ionic*, we usually mean
particles even smaller than colloids, even too small
to refract light (a silver solution that has no
Tyndall effect is considered to be mostly or
completely ionic). But, in fact, *ionic* simply means
a particle with a charge (number of electrons is
different from the number of protons), and particle
size is irrelevant. Everything we brew is *ionic*
silver, since the DC process we use charges the
particles. Nor is the word *ionic* exclusive of the
word *colloidal*, since a colloidal particle that has
a negative or positive charge (what we make) is also
an ionic particle.

When the FDA or the EPA refers to *colloidal silver*,
they include silver salts, proteins and other
compounds in that definition, which agrees with
general scientific usage. We argue, No, no, colloidal
silver isn't that! But we are wrong, at least using
the normal scientific definition.

We need to develop a more specific, exclusive
vocabulary, hopefully using other words that already
have accepted scientific definitions. EIS
(electrically isolated silver) is a good start, and
uses descriptive words to specify what we are
referring to, but does not clarify particle size and
only implies ionic charge.

What do we mean by *colloidal* or *ionic*? We need to
agree on an exact definition of those words, else
discussion is worthless. We want to discriminate
between particles bigger than a certain size, and
smaller than a certain size, and we have been calling
them *colloidal* and *ionic* in order to do so without
even agreeing on what we mean. But even if we agree on
specific sizes in order to define our words, they do
not agree with normal scientific usage.

It seems to me that ionic silver particles that can
pass through a cell membrane wall will affect the body
in a different way than silver particles that can't.
The argument over which form of silver is better is
like arguing over whether protein is better than
carbohydrates. Better for what? We benefit from both,
in different ways.

As far as the safety/toxicity issue is concerned, I am
convinced that silver particles smaller than 0.001
microns (what we generally call *ionic* silver) never
have and never could be toxic or unsafe, whereas large
silver particles certainly could, if larger than a
certain size (whatever that is).

Before I comment on Frank Keys statements concerning
ionic vs colloidal (particulate) silver, let me cite
some standard scientific definitions.

http://www.ozoneservices.com/glossary/i/ion.htm
Ion
An atom or radical (group of atoms) which carries an
electrical charge as the result of having lost or
gained electrons. Positively-charged ions are called
cations; negatively charged ions are called anions. An
ion often has entirely different properties than the
element (atom) from which it water formed.

http://herh.ednet.ns.ca/Teachers/FarrellL/AtomicTheoryFAQ.htm#10
What is an ion?
An ion is an electrically charged atom, or group of
atoms [whatever size that group of atoms is - Terry].
An atom becomes an ion by gaining or losing electrons.

http://ic-www.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/remote-agent/activities/pofo/docs/Propulsion/1-what-is-an-ion.html

NASA says:
What is an ion?
An ion is a charged atom or molecule. It is charged
because the number of electrons do not equal the
number of protons in the atom or molecule. An atom can
acquire a positive charge or a negative charge
depending on whether the number of electrons in an
atom is greater or less then the number of protons in
the atom.