Elastoplast: AND also is mostly *air-tight* --

It is open at either end; the last couple of days I have put cotton wool at
either end to try to raise the surface of the dressing a little above the
eschar.  I am concerned about squashing or rubbing of the eschar, especially
as the top layer of skin came off with the crust of salve.  I am very
interested in what you say about the importance of keeping it dry and open
to the air.   It is at waist band level, so would not be very open anyway,
and I do want to protect it.  Maybe a cloth dressing with just strips of
adhesive tape to keep it in place would be better?  I note that the info on
the old alpha omega site recommends sponge baths above showers during the
process.

###Very often the scab can be jet black or has jet black lines in it.
The black in the scab is NOT remnant of the salve, but is part of
the effect the salve has created in the scab.

Thanks for this information.  I was puzzled last night as I studied the
eschar, as all the salve had dropped off with the top layer of skin.  It is
probably very dark brown rather than black. The colour effect is as if one
is seeing the colour of flesh behind solidified plasma or lymph.

>... He had applied
> far too much, ...

###This is a common mistake (sad to say), and can cause much pain

The amazing thing is that he not only has had no pain, but no sensation
whatsoever - no tingling, no "pulling", no itching.  Nothing.
I put a tiny amount on a funny bump on my leg last night, and soon felt a
tingling.  No sign of any action, though.  I just did this as a little
diagnostic.  I am planning to try it on a life-long mole on my back next
year, which itches quite often and is uncomfortable.  As the salve will only
"work" on cancerous tissue, I plan to try this first, and then, maybe, get
and use the kind of salve for moles.  In the continuing spirit of
experimentation and reporting-to-base so characteristic of the silverlist,
heh heh, I have experimented on a few parts of my arms and legs with a tiny
bit of the salve.   And yes, I know the recommendation is to treat only one
at a time.  I don't really expect to have to "treat" any of these, it is
just a diagnostic experiment.  But I did read about the person who treated
one cancer on her dog, then just tested a lump and then another bump and
then some funny looking skin - and in each case, very unexpectedly produced
an eschar.

 since
a "good" black salve has effect only on "aberrant" skin-flesh ... on healthy
skin the salve has no effect (and nobody in the world can explain this).
###A good, "healthy" scab, when healing process has run its course,
will be dry and crisp and "crumbly" at the edges = a very good sign that
there are no problems underneath, as far as I have experienced.

This is very good to hear, thankyou.  As our first time experiment, when all
is new, one is nervous about believing that one has achieved one's aim.
There is no redness in the healthy flesh at the edges now.  Seven days down,
now on the eighth, Wednesday or Thursday may see the eschar drop off.  Did
you have a thread of skin or other tissue at the bottom of the eschar, or
did it just leap out and say Boo! when you weren't looking?

###If no ooze/watery seepage, then it was only skin-deep ... count your
blessings.    :-)

Absolutely!  I was afraid it was a bad sign!

 A crisp scab formation is a "must", so that healthy new skin can form under
the scab.
The scab should be kept dry (or dried with hair dyer after bathing),
so that it does not fall off before the new skin forms underneath.

This is valuable information - my instinct was that dampness would act like
a poultice to draw out any pus down the sides.
There is absolutely no matter around the sides now, so apart from any
staining from the eschar, leaving it open, or just lightly covered, might be
workable.  I don't want it rubbed, though, as might happen with just his
normal clothes on.

Thank you Gunnar, for your trouble in sharing your experience.  It is very
reassuring.

Thank you also to Mike, who allowed the original discussion of Cansema many
months ago, which meant not only that I could pass the info on to other
people since then, but, when the doctor diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma,
meant I didn't fall in a heap but confidently looked for a source.  This
means I also heartily thank those members of the list who originally sent
this information to the list and eneted into discussion about it.  Even if I
had found the information in a search, I would not have had the personal
input and recommendation and incidental information that helped me search
and decide (and, I feel pretty confident, destroy).

Sincerely
Rowena