Charged nanoparticle?

stuff

At 11:15 AM 12/23/2005, Marshall wrote:

My decision to ask the definition of ionic in the sci.chem newsgroup does not
seem to have worked out as well as I had hoped.  Initially there was
confirmation that the silver oxide/hydroxide is ionic and that the silver
crystals were particulate with a charge but not ionic. Then other
scientists/chemists chimed in and said that the particulate could be called
ionic, and even went as far as to say that if you rub a diamond on silk and
charge it up, it could be called an ion! Also one indicated that radicals are
ions, but not molecules, but another one said that radicals are molecules,
that a molecule does not have to be neutral.

How the heck can we agree on terms if the professional chemists and scientists
cannot agree on the terms?  After one of them suggested that we use the term
"molecular ion" to describe the dissociated salts of anything, including
silver another researcher chimed in last night and said that "molecular ion"
is already used "in mass spectrometry for the molecule that has acquired a  +1
charge and has not been fragmented.  Also called parent peak."

So I am still somewhat at a loss here as to what termnology to use to
definitively seperate a molecular silver  ion from a suspended silver
crystal.  I still like the "molecular ion", but maybe another good term would
be a "disassociated ion".  There is obvously a difference between the
disassociated ion of what we call ionic silver, and the particulate portion of
EIS.This is easily proven with both a laser as well as by adding salt and
seeing that the former falls out and the latter does not.  The difference is
like  the difference in salt water, and a diamond that has been charged up.
The disassociated ion is very reactive, and the diamond is very stable.

Any other ideas?

Marshall