Hi Jonathan, and others,
I'd like to offer some comments on the subject, not only relating to WD but to "discussions of this kind" generally; I value them.

I use WD 40 regularly for its intended purposes, contact with my skin and no doubt my lungs via nasal passages, is common, and unavoidable. I have also discovered that 'application' of other petroleum products,specifically diesel for one, despite the current outcries of its evils is helpful in eliminating the rash of poison oak (rhus diversiloba). Hey, whaddya know, it works! (well, for me.) People find things out by trying them, and noticing the results; that's not irresponsible. Condemning or condoning on the basis of opinion only is irresponsible.

How do you (generic 'you') think the beneficial antibacterial etc., effects of CS were first discovered? Government labs? Large pharma companies? Not Likely!

I hadda put that in, not to keep the Dreaded Mike from eating me alive, <g> but to point out that we're the beneficiaries of just this sort of anecdotal shenanigans. We CS listers specifically. We may not have the whole story at first - or ever - but that's hardly reason to disparage the observations. "Folklore", after all, should not be considered a pejorative. "Quackwatch" OTOH, is another matter.

By the bye, I just reviewed the list depending from the hazmap ref. below; it includes isopropyl alcohol (e.g. rubbing alcohol), ethyl alcohol (booze), gasoline (but not tetraethyl lead), many chlorinated and/or aromatic hydrocarbons of course, but nary a mention of the quantities considered harmful which range from a few ounces to even the smallest amounts, nor the route of exposure. In other words as is the case for many cites it is an inappropriate tool for most purposes, including the purposes of this discussion.

Yours for clarity,
"Petroleum Jelly"