Marshalee, Debbie, James,

Please step back and take it easy, ladies. Both of you are getting way
too nasty over what ought never to have been allowed to be a problem.

James, it won't help in the least to pile onto this one, okay? <sigh>

Debbie, I am content to allow Marshalee the *occasional* grammar or
spelling rant. Anybody who's been with us long enough realizes that's a
part of her personality that shows up once in a while and is usually
easy enough to ignore. I'm very sorry it got on your nerves today.

Marshalee? Here's more evidence than you'd ever need that "grammar cop"
is an *extremely* low-reward vocation here on the internet.

Without the benefit of body language, facial expression, and tone of
voice, it is bloody well impossible to correct someone here (or respond
to such correction) without being taken a lot more seriously than you
really intend.

Imagine standing stiffly in front of the other person, scowling
frighteningly, pointing your finger at the end of your stiffened arm,
inches from their nose, and pronouncing your written words in your
worst "I'm the boss and you'd better listen to me!" kind of voice.

THAT is what we all start out sounding like the moment we type any kind
of message the least bit critical of another person's words, ideas, or
behavior.

Unless you're prepared to invest an immense amount of delicacy in the
composing of your response, it's best to leave it unsaid.

Any issue you think serious enough to respond nasty-like, is important
enough to contact *me* with, privately, rather than on the list, and
then allow me time to respond. That is how I ask everyone to deal with
such issues.

Each of you, Marshalee and Debbie, could have, and, I think, should
have, apologized the moment you realized, based on the other's
response, that you had made each other angry. It would have stopped the
inevitable hurt feelings in their tracks.

Jonathan's and Craig's comments were both spot-on.

Please cease and desist, and, if you can bring yourself to it, be
sorry for the outburst of hostilities. It really isn't the best you're
capable of.

Everyone else, PLEASE refrain from responding further, and have
patience with the almost inevitable responses of people who will insist
on reacting before they've managed to read this message! I will deal
with them as they come in, most likely in private e-mail.

Thank you.

Be well,

Mike Devour
(Yes, he's the list owner...)