Body chemistry is further confused by the fact that the body has a "set point" for blood levels of calcium, and if you don't get enough or what you take in is not properly utilized the body will remove calcium from the bones to maintain the blood levels. So I believe that blood levels of calcium and other minerals are not a very good indicator of what is really going on, or what the state of calcium in the body really is. Blood levels are therefore not totally reliable, but a poor tool is better than none, maybe. I myelf have been going by The Metabolic Typing Diet, which gives examples of different metabolic types needing different supplementation or diets that sometimes contradicts the blood results. There really is no "one size fits all" way to deal with mineral imbalances, or even vitamin deficiencies according to that book.
sol

M. G. Devour wrote:

Sol wrote:
Without a proper calcium/phosphorus ratio, mammals can't properly use
calcium. The conventional wisdom seems to be that humans get plenty of
phosphorus and don't need to worry about it, but I wonder if that is
really true.

Right now my phosphorus levels are low, both absolutely and relative to calcium. The problem I'm overcoming is apparently calcium overload. I'm supplementing with bioavailable calcium and avoiding all inorganic sources. As I'm slowly getting rid of the precipitated calcium, the phosphorus levels are supposed to rise. It's not easy to bring up phosphorus levels. It's supposed to take months.

Body chemistry is not simple. <sigh>