Years ago,  when I was taking care of my grandmother,
there was a laynurse  ( learned through the school of hard knocks,  not
formal nursing school )
who told me to use honey in a huge bed sore my grandmother had developed
while hospitalized.  It
went all the way down to the bone.

We used honey,  applying it to her wound daily,  and allowing this to dry to
air.  We then rinsed it with hydrogen peroxide, followed
 with a sterile salt water solution this woman made on the stove, ( after
allowing it to cool ).  We then packed
The wound with some of this homemade sterile saline solution and gauze, as
she wanted the wound to heal from the inside
Out,  so no pockets would remain for an infection to re-occur.   We needed
to prevent the wound edges from
Macerating  ( or the wound would grow larger ) so, we applied vitamin a and
d ointment to the parameter of the wound,  putting gauze over this.   We did
this once daily. We would sterilize scissors on the stove also,  and use
them to snip out the old infected tissue as it died, and was
replaced by healthy tissue.   We healed this bedsore,  that the doctor told
us could not be healed, as it was down to the
bone,  and severly infected,  larger than my very tall uncles hand.

It gradually filled in,  and the infection was cured.

So,  much to be said for the healing and bactericidal effects of honey.

Love Jackie