At 11:26 AM 11/10/2006 -0800, you wrote:

How would you use the voltmeter to monitor conductivity?

You would need an absolute current control and absolute electrode position repeatability to do that. Conductivity relates to current , distance and surface area. If max controlled current and spacing remain the same, measuring surface area exposure required to achieve the set current draw can be used to measure conductivity. Each fractional inch of electrode exposure will correspond to some conductivity value in microsiemens by withdrawing the electrode from the water to just at the point where current starts to drop, then measuring how much electrode is in the water. You'll need a conductivity meter to relate the exposure to microsiemens per fractional inch and get a number...which makes the exercise redundant if you have the meter. But anyone else with exactly the same setup can use the correlations...as.. a meter.

In my case, the LED on the generator is in series with the output and brightness can determine where max current is when the electrodes are moved up and down in the water.
Read range has limits.
If the LED never gets fully bright with full electrode exposure, the water is 1 uS or under . If just touching the water makes the LED fully bright, that's 20 uS and over. Read range is between 1 and 20 uS. Accuracy is slightly better than a PPM/TDS meter but not as good as a good conductivity meter.

 I would like to
know such a process. Also, can you tell me how to hook up the ammeter in the
system so that I can monitor current? Thanks

 Cut one electrode wire and put ammeter in series to monitor current.
Using constant voltage output, the current draw can be used to determine conductivity. Using constant current output, the voltage can be used to determine conductivity.

...to some degree of accuracy...within some read range, because the actual process interferes somewhat and the interference increases with PPM after some point. [ at somewhere around 20 to 30 uS, even a "good" meter slews off in comparing uS apples to PPM oranges]

Ode

Peter