If the LED never gets fully bright with full electrode exposure, the water is 1 uS or under . If just touching the water makes the LED fully bright, that's 20 uS and over. Read range is between 1 and 20 uS. Accuracy is slightly better than a PPM/TDS meter but not as good as a good conductivity meter.

I'm brand new but it sounds like I a may have a similar system to yours. Just to see if I understand the lower the reading before brewing is better correct. And it should just barely lite when electrodes are just touching the water.
Thanks
Todd Paddock

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us