At 07:20 AM 11/13/2006 -0600, you wrote:

Morning Ode,

To my recent surprize, putting a 20K ohm resistor in series with one electrode with 36 volts DC, 1 1/2" electrode spacing / 6" x #12 wire electrodes.....does a pretty decent job.

   Do you consider the 1.5 inches about optimum?
I use them as wide as the big mouth jar will allow.

##  That's optimal for a small mouth jar ;-)
I expect a greater distance would favorably lower the current range using a given resistor as would using a lower voltage. An LED is a semiconductor like a transistor and it will have a breakover voltage, typically dropping .7 volts. I don't think it works like a resistor, more like a threshold that must be exceeded to get it to conduct.

I'm not exactly an electronics whiz. Likewise chemistry...just enough to be dangerous. I do know some fairly famous ones though..and they sure come in handy sometimes.

I find a milling machine and concepts like compression and flame front to be more friendly to my motor head...any kind of stuff I can beat with a hammer or burn a hole in, we get along well, ya know? LOL

ode