Sort of like "wild land races" or native ancestral crop species
which are  preserved  to enhance  modern trait specific varieties
with traits formerly not considered important.

or like a zoo/game farm or seed/gene bank.... is to other species.

Unlike our ancestors  and the cro-magnons et. al., posthumans  may choose to co-exist with their ancestral kinfolk.   I am assuming we either killed off or starved out
or spread dire plague which decimated our missing link homo-sapiens.

Morris