This article takes a shot at making a counter-argument, at least if you assume that general AI is a necessary part of the Singularity:

http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/featured_articles/v12n02_AI_gone_awry.html

From: Joshua Fox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 3:16 PM
To: singularity@v2.listbox.com
Subject: [singularity] Counter-argument

Could I offer Singularity-list readers this intellectual challenge: Give an argument supporting the thesis "Any sort of Singularity is very unlikely to occur in this century."

Even if you don't actually believe the point, consider it a debate-club-style challenge. If there is already something on the web somewhere, could you please point me to it.

I've been eager for this piece ever since I learned of the Singularity concept.  I know of  the "objections" chapter in Kurzweil's Singularity is Near, the relevant parts of Vinge's seminal essay, as well the ideas of Lanier, Huebner, and a few others, but in all the millions of words out there I can't remember seeing a well-reasoned article with the above claim as its major thesis.  (Note, I'm looking for "why the Singularity won't happen" rather than "why the Singularity is a bad idea" or "why technology is not accelerating".)

Joshua

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.