I see two paths toward >human intelligence:

1) Intelligence Augmentation.
This can be through a mixture of significantly improved computer-human interaction including possibly ubiquitious computing, wearables, much improved human-computer interfaces (including though controlled computing), much improved decision support and knowledge agent software, better groupware, implanted computational devices and so on.

2) Artificial Intelligence.

Note there are possible/likely interactions and cross-fertilization between these paths.

The fastest path to "telepathy" is direct brain to networked computer to other brain information flows. While some "smart drug" therapies may be promising it seems highly unlikely that massively greater intelligence can result from that or tweaking human genetics. Some such things may help us get just smart enough to get to the next level though.

- samantha