On 10/5/06, Joshua Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Could I offer Singularity-list readers this intellectual challenge: Give an argument supporting the thesis "Any sort of Singularity is very unlikely to occur in this century."

That's a very hard challenge: that means you have to argue against AGI singularities AND against upload singularities AND against Lots-of-notable-achievements (Kurzweil-graph) singularities...

It's relatively unlikely that Qatar will win a gold medal in any particular olympic sport in the next 40 years, but to argue that for any-and-all sports?

I will provide a counter-counter argument, tho:

The prediction of any so-called "singularity" involves events with which we have no experience, and intellectual domains with which we have no knowledge.  As we have no
basis for comparison, we have no grounds for which to make any prediction about _probabilities_.  Therefore, any claim that any singularity-like event is /likely/ to occur must be groundless.

Howzat?

-- Olie