On 3/2/07, Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 07:30:42PM +1100, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>    Why that last phrase? There is a great elegance and simplicity in the
>    idea that all mathematical structures exist necessarily, with the
>    anthropic principle selecting out those structures with observers.

How is that a good theory? Which falsifyable predictions does it produce?

Do you have a set of equations into which I can plug those parameters for
our
universe (empirically measured to a very high degree of precision) to
obtain
predictions other theories can't produce?

>    There is also an inevitability to it, even if you believe that as a
>    matter of fact there is a real physical world out there. All it takes

What is a "real physical world"? The theories don't make that particular
distinction. They don't leak any information about any underlying
metareality.

>    is one infinite computer to arise in this physical world and it will

"infinite" and "this physical world" don't mix. The only infinities appear
in some theories, and are more a problem of the particular theories than
that of the underlying reality. E.g. infinite spacetime curvature
singularities
go away in a number of TOE candidates.

>    generate the mathematical Plenitude.

How can you prove that the Moon is not made from green gorgonzola,
when we're not looking?

You're a hard positivist. There's nothing really wrong with that: if we had
to choose between killing all the scientists and killing all the
metaphysicians, killing the metaphysicians would be the better option.
Nevertheless, I think it's interesting to speculate on such unfalsifiable
ideas as the interpretation of quantum mechanics and multiverse theories,
and such speculation may guide future scientific work. After all, the
verifiability/ falsifiability principle is *itself* metaphysics by its own
criterion.

Stathis Papaioannou