On 3/3/07, Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, I see no valid argument asserting that this is not a simulation
fiction that some other entity is experiencing.  And there's no
guarantee that sometime soon he won't "put down the book".  But this
assumption yields no valid guide as to how I should act, so I ignore the
possibility.

I doubt that is your only reason for ignoring the possibility. For one
thing, it is quite simple to construct a scenario where (if plausible) it
does yield a valid guide as to how to act. We can, for instance, just
arbitrarily specify further details such as that the entity reading it will
"put down the book" unless you do something surprising to keep his attention
such as streak naked down your street. (Even with the scenario as you
specified it, you might think it does yield a guide to how to act: Be
interesting so they don't shut down the simulation.)

Now, I think there is no sound deductive argument that this particular
scenario is not the case. And it would provide a valid guide as to how to
act, yet I'm betting that you ignore this possibility. Why? Because you
judge on inductive grounds that while possible, it is very improbable. It
doesn't explain much and adds on ad hoc assumptions that don't cohere well
with your observations or even the rest of the theory. You make these sorts
of judgments all the time, and I would add, quite rationally so.

-Ku

http://www.umich.edu/~jsku