--- Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why would a simulating alien race want to create a
> universe with fluctuating constants as opposed to
> fixed constants? To drop us a subtle hint? Why a
> subtle hint, and not an obvious hint or no hint at
> all?

There is no experimental evidence that c, G, h, or the size/mass of the proton
are changing, certainly not as fast as the theory suggests.  The only constant
whose change we could not detect would be G.  It is only known to 4
significant figures.  With this accuracy, it would take about a million years
to detect a change directly.  But even then we should still be able to look at
galaxies when gravity was significantly different see some effects, but we see
none as far as I know.

So it may just be a coincidence.

As for why the universe is the way it is, I believe the multiverse theory and
anthropic principle apply.