On 6/4/07, Papiewski, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We already have intelligent **human beings** whose well-reasoned ideas get
no traction in society at large.  What makes you think that an AI is going
to fare any better?

I don't.

If the AI isn't plugged into politics I don't see it making any change to
human civilization regardless of how smart it might be.

That doesn't follow. What we need to do, that intelligent life not turn out
just a brief evolutionary experiment, is to break the bonds of time and
space: reverse aging and make space settlement feasible. And I think both of
these things are politically feasible as it stands. (The first, granted, has
been the subject of controversy, but I think there's a lot of 'I bet they
were sour anyway' in that. Aside from a hard core who truly want death, I
think most older voters, if they are offered the means to be healthy again,
will take it.)