If an AI can come up with better ideas for improving our lives than we
can, then wouldn't it make sense to pay attention to it?  Why should
our leaders be of mere human-level intelligence if they can be much
smarter?  If people democratically choose for superintelligences to be
their leaders (whether IAed humans or AI), as I think they inevitably
will, then wouldn't that be reasonable?

Our xenophobia and human chauvinism about machines will evaporate
when/if a true friendly AGI is built and starts to accomplish good
deeds in the world.

Matt and John, I think an AI will get traction by doing, not just by
talking.  A friendly AGI will, say, invent a cure for cancer, or hand
us the design for a working fusion reactor, or something else we can't
even imagine.  Accomplishing these good deeds will give it tremendous
social capital.  If such an AI is charismatic as well, then the public
will practically beg it to take greater responsibility.

Why the human chauvinism, guys?  You've never met an intelligent
machine, so why are you judging them?

--
Michael Anissimov
Lifeboat Foundation      http://lifeboat.com