On 6/12/07, Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So far, the impact has been largely detrimental. An online
PC has a debilitating potential way beyond a mere TV.

Not really; TV suffices as vector for parasite memes (have seen empirical
data to show this, though don't have reference to hand), at least with PC
we're getting back to the stage where kids spend their time actively doing
something rather than sitting there with glazed eyes passively soaking up a
drip feed.

Where do you think the current education malaise comes from?
(TV and the internets).

No, it comes from the attitude that excellence is worthless, it's
impermissible to say that one person is outperforming another, and if a
standard is not being met then it is the standard that must be changed.

I wish the damn things would evolve to meet my requirements,
and not some snot-nosed gamer punk's somewhere.

The "snot-nosed gamer punks" are in large part the ones who are paying for
the continued improvement in computing power, so you might want to think
twice about biting the hand that feeds.

Have you ever seen a piece of educational software done right,
and it deployed widely? The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer is as
far away as ever.

Yeah, but Google's here and it works - not just educational software, but
genuine IA. Like I said a little while ago, there's plenty of progress to be
made, as long as we don't demand that it exactly match our preconceived
notions.