Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 11:20:13PM -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
>>> I'm mostly interested in online harware which can be easily 0wn3d
>>> for bootstrap purposes.
>> d00d, if you (or I) knew how to program, your hardware needs would be
>> embarasingly pathetic. =P

> My programming skills are a bit rusty, but I come by. But you should
> go out more, and see which pathetic performance you get from a so-called
> supercomputer if you want to crunch an MD trajectory of few 100 ns of a
> few million atoms, and mostly water at that. Nevermind running a spiking
> neuronal model of a few billion neurons, or so.

Only someone smoking pattern identity theory would even consider
contemplating that as a path towards singularity.

The type of system you suggest would be so vastly outclassed by a direct
implementation of intelligence that it would be considered absurdly
impractical for anything other than computational neuroscience.

What you suggest is like proposing to implement a computer with a
capacity and architecture similar to today's comodity desktop with
vacuum tubes. -- such a machine would be the size of a small city and
consume ten times as much power.

http://www.jj-electronic.sk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=10

or perhaps even:

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML20B.htm

;)

When I'm much less tired, I'll need to get around to explaining exactly
why, if done at all, intelligence is a supremely tractable problem. =)

--
Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<