On 6/16/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Perhaps you've been through this - but I'd like to know people's ideas about
what exact physical form a Singulitarian or near-Singul. AGI will take. And
I'd like to know people's automatic associations even if they don't have
thought-through ideas - just what does a superAGI conjure up in your mind,
regardless of whether you're sure about it or not, or it's sensible?

The obvious alternatives, it seems to me, (but please comment), are either
pace the movie 2001, a desk-bound supercomputer like Hal, with perhaps
extended sensors all over the place, even around the world - although that
supercomputer, I guess, could presumably occupy an ever smaller space as
miniaturisation improves.

A large spherical room with a huge blue fluorescing set of tubes in
the center with jacob ladder effects between them. The tubes are
suspended in the mid point of the sphere and the sphere itself is
lined with regularly spaced fairy lights which serve no obvious
purpose. There's a walkway running towards the tubes, and at the end
of the walkway there is a solitary terminal through which a lone
researcher asks deep ponderous questions.

... obviously this is not sensible, but you did ask and it was the
first thing that popped into my head (followed by the more sensible
vision of a datacenter or server farm) and I have an eager imagination
today ;)