--- Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you've been through this - but I'd like to
> know people's ideas about
> > what exact physical form a Singulitarian or
> near-Singul. AGI will take. And
> > I'd like to know people's automatic associations
> even if they don't have
> > thought-through ideas - just what does a superAGI
> conjure up in your mind,
> > regardless of whether you're sure about it or not,
> or it's sensible?
>
> It is fun to speculate, but I think that you could
> not observe a Singularity.

You certainly could observe it if it happened right in
front of you. If it happened already and we're living
in a simulation, who knows?

> Or if your intellect advanced to the point where you
> could, you would not be
> able to describe what you observed to other humans.
> To use an analogy, a
> Singularity level intelligence would be as advanced
> over humans as humans are
> over bacteria.  The bacteria in your stomach are
> unaware of your existence.

No, but they would notice if you spontaneously
appeared/disappeared. It would greatly affect their
environment.

> I believe a Singularity has already happened.

Do you have any evidence for this point of view?

> The
> world you now observe is
> the result.  Your thoughts are constrained both by
> the computational limits of
> your brain (belief in consciousness, belief in free
> will, fear of death)

What do those things have to do with computational
limits?

> , and
> by the model of reality presented to its inputs.
> For all we know, concepts
> like space, time, and matter are nothing more than
> abstract mathematical
> models in your simulated universe, which bear no
> resemblance to the universe
> in which the simulation is being run.  This will all
> be clear after you die
> and wake up.

So, after we wake up, can we try whatever beings set
up this simulation for being complicit in every crime
ever committed?

> -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> -----
> This list is sponsored by AGIRI: