--- Lúcio de Souza Coelho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 6/15/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >How exactly do you control a megaton-size hunk of
> >metal flying through the air at 10,000+ m/s?
>
> Clarifying this point on speed, in my view the
> asteroid would not hit
> Earth directly. Instead it would first make
> aerobrake maneuvers to
> enter Earth orbit and then to de-orbit.

I refer you to my earlier explanation of drag- no
decent-sized asteroid could possibly get slowed down
enough by the atmosphere to make a stable Earth orbit
in one pass, so it's just going to skip out into
space. It'd be an excellent choice for large-scale
fireworks, though.

> So, as far
> as I can see, its
> speed would be less-than orbital - <7,900 m/s .
> Still, a very high
> speed, granted.
>
> > The reason most metallic meteors
> > survive is precisely because they are small- the
> drag
> > deceleration exerted on an object is roughly
> inversely
> > proportional to its size, because inertia goes up
> with
> > r^3 while surface area (and hence drag) only goes
> up
> > with r^2.
> (...)
>
> Okay, that's a sound argument. In that case, the
> alternatives seems to be:
>
> (a) Cutting small shunks of a big metallic asteroid
> and then making
> controlled crashes of those. (This kind of reduces
> to the drop capsule
> method, but in a cruder - and perhaps cheaper -
> version.)

Okay, this I can buy.

(http://alglobus.net/NASAwork/papers/AsterAnts/paper.html
> - though in
> the case they were meant for processing in Earth
> orbit.) I wonder
> though if the economics of scale won't favor a less
> "distributed"
> model...

This could work if it's economical to find and send a
mission to these meteoroids.

> As materials science progresses, perhaps there will
> be an alternative
> (c): making the mass-to-surface ratio of a larger
> asteroid go down
> artificially, by instanlling an inflatable,
> heat--and-friction
> resistant "shield" around the asteroid. An "asteroid
> parachute", so to
> speak. But that seems far more speculative than (a)
> and (b)...

Unless this material is made out of very, very thick
diamond nanofiber or something of similar strength and
rigidity, it's just going to get ripped to shreds by
the forces of deceleration. At 10,000 m/s (initial
aerobrake speed), even a small force of 1,000,000 N
means that this parachute is dissipating 10 GW. By the
typical standards of re-entry, that's enough force to
aerobrake a ~200-ton asteroid, which would only be a
few meters across.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;