--- Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 12:47:27AM -0700, Tom McCabe
> wrote:
>
> > Because an AGI is an entirely different kind of
> thing
> > from evolution. AGI doesn't have to care what
>
> If it's being created by an evolutionary context

What does that even mean? Sure, it's being created by
evolved organisms, but that doesn't mean that it has
to follow the rules of evolution any more than
evolution had to follow the rules of dumb luck.

> and
> is competing with likewise

"Competition" in the evolutionary sense can only occur
if there is a large population of reproducing AGIs,
with a strong selection pressure in some direction
which will tend to kill off large parts of the AGI
population to stop the population from going to
infinity. Do I really have to explain why this is
unlikely?

> it is precisely
> evolution,
> only with a giant fitness gradient to us.

What does that mean?

> > evolution is or how it works; there's no
> constraint on
> > it whatsoever to act like evolution does.
> Evolution is
>
> Of course there's a constraint: you need to be able
> to model reality in order to build designs not
> incorporated,
> in a series of incremental steps.

1). That is not an evolutionary constraint; evolution
doesn't model reality at all.
2). That is not a constraint on the AGI's behavior;
ie, what it does to us.

> You need the models and the crunch to do so.
>
> > actually nicer than most AGIs, because evolution
> is
>
> Evolution isn't anything, it's just an essential
> feature
> of self-replicating systems in a limited-resource
> context.

Okay, substitute "evolved organisms" for "evolution"
then.

> The nature of the self-replicating agents is not
> important.

True. Why would an AGI act like a self-replicator?

> > constrained by the need to have one viable
> offspring
> > per parent, while AGIs are not.
>
> -----
> This list is sponsored by AGIRI: