On 7/1/07, Tom McCabe wrote:

--- BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/1/07, Tom McCabe wrote:
> >
> > These rules exist only in your head. They aren't
> > written down anywhere, and they will not be
> > transferred via osmosis into the AGI.
> >

> They *are* written down.
> I just quoted from the FIDE laws of chess.
> And they would be given to the AGI along with the
> rest of the rulebook.

I just explained to you why the rules would be
meaningless.

If the rules are meaningless, why did you give such a silly example as
a chess-playing AI shooting the opponent?

That is similar to a football playing AI breaking all the opponents
legs then scoring 2,000 goals.

If the AI follows the rules of each particular competition then it
won't do such things.
Of course an AI can try to find loopholes in written rules, which is
why humans put in 'catch-all' clauses when they write instructions.
(Humans cheat as well, you know).

Your chess example was silly. That's all I am pointing out.

Your other point that an AI is uncontrollable by humans and can do
just as it pleases,  is a major concern.  But it is unlikely that such
a creature would be wasting time playing chess with humans and
shooting them.

You seem to enjoy argumentation, but please try to reason sensibly.

BillK