On Jan 28, 2008 10:02 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Vow, this is well worded, structured in a really nice set of feedback loops.

Some like my writing very much; others find it off-putting. I tend to
err toward excessive abstraction, expecting that others will ask for
supporting detail and/or clarification as desired.  I think I'm
correct in this expectation, but significantly off in my estimation of
the extent of the desire.  ;-)

> What is a non physical embodiment. I would like to know more about this.

Simply put, "non-physical embodiment" refers to an instance of "mind"
functioning within an abstract computational environment as opposed to
the physical environment we commonly assume.  It's worthwhile to note,
however, that from a necessarily subjective viewpoint, one cannot
reliably discern the "degree of abstraction" of one's environment from
"actual reality."  [Thus my scare-quoting of the term "reality" as it
can be referred to but never defined.]  Note also that a
"computational environment" does not necessarily entail a simulation,
although these concepts are commonly conflated in this forum.

> If we have a form of embodied AGI (with all the definitions and descriptions
> above, even a non physical one not being grounded in an ultimate reality), and
> there is space for movement/motion (see other posts and definitions for
> movement), has anybody thought about DESIRE. How could desire come into this.

It seems to me that in coherent, systems-theoretic terms, "desire"
refers to perceived distance between an agent's internal
"values-complex" and the perceived state of its environment.  So
intentional action serves simply to reduce this perceived distance to
zero (via execution of more or less "intelligent" internally encoded
instrumental principles.)  To the extent that the relevant aspects of
this interaction can be said to be fully specified, then the desired
future state can be called a "goal."

> What kind of mind is desirable?

Non-sequitur.