On 31/01/2008, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think the question should reverse - I and every (most?) creature can
> distinguish between a real and a virtual environment. How on earth can a
> virtual creature make the same distinction? How can it have a body, or a
> continuous sense of a body? How can it have a continous map of the world,
> with a continuous physical sense of up/down, forward/back,
> heaviness/lightness?  And a fairly continuous sense of time passing? How can
> it have a self? How can it have continuous (conflicting) emotions coursing
> through its body? How can it also have a continuous sense of its energy and
> muscles - of zest/apathy, strength/weakness, awakeness/tiredness? How can it
> have a sense of its posture, and muscles tight or loose?

The fact is, you are already living in a virtual environment. Your
brain creates a picture of the world based on sensory data. You can't
*really* know what a table is, or even that there is a table there in
front of you at all. All you can know is that you have particular
table-like experiences, which seem to be consistently generated by
what you come to think of as the external object "table". There is no
way to be certain that the picture in your head - including the
picture you have of your own body - is generated by a real external
environment rather than by a computer sending appropriately high
resolution signals to fool your brain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

--
Stathis Papaioannou