On Jan 28, 2008 6:43 AM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stathis:  Are you simply arguing that an embodied AI that can interact with
> the
> > real world will find it easier to learn and develop, or are you
> > arguing that there is a fundamental reason why an AI can't develop in
> > a purely virtual environment?
>
> The latter. I'm arguing that a disembodied AGI has as much chance of getting
> to know, understand and be intelligent about the world as Tommy - a deaf,
> dumb and blind and generally sense-less kid, that's totally autistic, can't
> play any physical game let alone a mean pin ball, and has a seriously
> impaired sense of self , (what's the name for that condition?) - and all
> that is even if the AGI *has* sensors. Think of a disembodied AGI as very
> severely mentally and physically disabled from birth - you wouldn't do that
> to a child, why do it to a computer?  It might be able to spout an
> encyclopaedia, show you a zillion photographs, and calculate a storm but it
> wouldn't understand, or be able to imagine/ reimagine, anything. As I
> indicated, a proper, formal argument for this needs to be made - and I and
> many others are thinking about it - and shouldn't be long in forthcoming,
> backed with solid scientific evidence. There is already a lot of evidence
> via mirror neurons that you do think with your body, and it just keeps
> mounting.

Of course this is a variation on "the grounding problem" in AI.  But
do you think some sort of **absolute** grounding is relevant to
effective interaction between individual agents (assuming you think
any such ultimate grounding could even perform a function within a
limited system), or might it be that systems interact effectively to
the extent their dynamics are based on **relevant** models, regardless
of even proximate grounding in any functional sense?