--- John Ku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2/15/08, Eric B. Ramsay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >      http://www.jaronlanier.com/aichapter.html
>

> I take it the target of his rainstorm argument is the idea that the
> essential features of consciousness are its information-processing
> properties.

I believe his target is the existence of consciousness.  There are many proofs
showing that the assumption of consciousness leads to absurdities, which I
have summarized at http://www.mattmahoney.net/singularity.html
In mathematics, it should not be necessary to prove a theorem more than once.
But proof and belief are different things, especially when the belief is hard
coded into the brain.

For now, these apparent paradoxes are just philosophical arguments because
they depend on technologies that have not yet been developed, such as AGI,
uploading, copying people, and programming the brain.  But we will eventually
have to confront them.

The result will not be pretty.  The best definition (not solution) of
friendliness is probably CEV ( http://www.singinst.org/upload/CEV.html ) which
can be summarized as "our wish if we knew more, thought faster, were more the
people we wished we were, had grown up farther together".  What would you wish
for if your brain was not constrained by the hardwired beliefs and goals that
you were born with and you knew that your consciousness did not exist?  What
would you wish for if you could reprogram your own goals?  The logical answer
is that it doesn't matter.  The pleasure of a thousand permanent orgasms is
just a matter of changing a few lines of code, and you go into a degenerate
state where learning ceases.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]