> From: Stathis Papaioannou [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On 26/02/2008, John G. Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > There is an assumed simplification tendency going on that a human
> brain could be represented as a string of bits. It's easy to assume but
> I think that a more correct way to put it would be that it could be
> approximated. Exactly how close the approximation could theoretically
> get is entirely unknown.
>
> It's not entirely unknown. The maximum simulation fidelity that would
> be required is at the quantum level, which is still finite. But
> probably this would be overkill, since you remain you from moment to
> moment despite changes in your brain which are gross compared to the
> quantum level.

Well if you spend some time theorizing a model of a brain digitizer that
operates within known physics constraints it's not an easy task getting just
the molecular and atomic digital data. You have to sample over a period of time
and space using photons and particle beams. This in itself interferes with the
sample. Then say this sample is reconstructed within a theoretically capable
computer, the computer will most likely have to operate in slow time to
simulate the physics of all the atoms and molecules as the computer is itself
constrained by the speed of light. I'm going this route because I don't think
that it is possible to get an instantaneous reading of all the atoms in a
brain, you have to reconstruct over time and space. THEN, this is ignoring the
subatomic properties and forget about quantum data sample digitization I think
it is impossible to get an exact copy.

So this leaves you with a reconstructed approximation. Exactly how much of this
would be you is unknown because any subatomic and quantum properties of you are
- started from scratch - this includes any macroscopic and environmental
properties of subatomic and quantum and superatomic molecular state and
positioning effects. And if the whole atomic level model is started from
scratch in the simulator it could disintegrate or diverge as it is all forced
fit together. Your copy is an approximation of which it is unknown how close it
is actually of you or if you could be even put together accurately enough in
the simulator.

John