Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:11:41 -0600
From: Robert Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] UAS sending a CANCEL
To: Jagan Mohan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu

You're looking for RFC3261 section 9.

RjS

On Nov 14, 2007, at 6:04 AM, Jagan Mohan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    I have the following call flow:
>
> PSTN===Media Gateway-----UAS
>
>    Call flow is made from PSTN phone to UAS.
>
>  Media --------------UAS
> Gateway
>
>  INVITE-------->
>            <--------100 Trying
>             <--------180 Ringing
>
>     At this point, can UAS send a CANCEL to the media gateway?
>
>     From the discussion in various mailing lists, I understand that
> UAS can
> not send a CANCEL request in this scenario. It can send a 4xx/6xx
>
>     But, I could not find any RFC which talks about this. Could any
> one
> please provide info. on the RFC which talks about the above scenario?
>
> TIA,
> Jagan

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:17:44 -0000
From: "Attila Sipos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] Error in incoming req uri, what to do?
To: Andreas Bystr?m <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu>

I seem to remember some discussion about the # and # character a
long time ago.

You could respond with 400 Bad Request but I think it would be best
if you just treated it as if the # had been escaped.  I know it's not
strictly
compliant but:
1. I don't think it does any harm - check the grammar for yourself but I
don't
    think there are any parser clashes
2. you will improve your interop - I have seen many UAs that haven't
    escaped these characters - so it's best if you try to accept them.

One more thing - always escape the # and * if you use it in the user part of
a URI.

People over-use the saying "be liberal with what you accept and strict with
what you send" -
I don't always agree with it because it's the road to chaos but in this case
I don't think
it's harmful.

Regards,
Attila