Attila Sipos wrote:

> I seem to remember some discussion about the # and # character a
> long time ago.
>
> You could respond with 400 Bad Request but I think it would be best
> if you just treated it as if the # had been escaped.  I know it's not strictly
> compliant but:
> 1. I don't think it does any harm - check the grammar for yourself but I don't
>     think there are any parser clashes
> 2. you will improve your interop - I have seen many UAs that haven't
>     escaped these characters - so it's best if you try to accept them.
>
> One more thing - always escape the # and * if you use it in the user part of
> a URI.
>
> People over-use the saying "be liberal with what you accept and strict with
> what you send" -
> I don't always agree with it because it's the road to chaos but in this case
> I don't think
> it's harmful.

Wow! Attila and I agree on something!!!

The "be liberal" part is only useful when there is only *one* liberal
interpretation that everyone who is liberal follows. When people are
liberal in inconsistent ways it does lead to chaos.

The catch of course is that if you actually specify the particular
liberal behavior that everyone should follow then it is no longer
liberal - its conservative because it is then part of the spec.

So it works when the liberal interpretation is "obvious". That is the
case here I think.