To a certain extent, within a few hours or days, it is not at all unusual
for sipx to assume use of 100% of your available RAM and keep it there. I
remember asking this ages ago and got a great explanation from Dale, but I
can't easily find that message.

I think it caused so many unnecessary questions by having it in the RRD
component that it is no longer graphed in there. I find it normal and common
to see RAM usage go up (quicker depending on how reliant your organization
is on voicemail). Once it goes up, it is never released (unless you reboot
or restart services, at which point it goes up in the same fashion again). I
think the media server in this incarnation is particularly memory intensive.
It essentially grabs what it needs as it is used and keeps using it no
matter what.

I'm not sure how the memory usage will change in 4.2 with a new media
server, but then IM and other features are being added.

Maybe there will be more input from other users, but I can say what you are
seeing is "normal" at this time.