From: Robert B <d...@spudland.com>
To: Tony Graziano <tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net>
Cc: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org <sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org>
Sent: Sat Nov 21 12:07:42 2009
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] Question regarding resource usage...

Tony,

Okay -- working theory here. The thing in my environment which is
"different" is that I am using OpenVZ.

I started running into issues with *fresh* installs immediately failing
on service start-up. All kinds of Java JVM memory allocation errors.

First of all, with Sun's java is executed, if it sees more than 2GB of
resources it will run in "server" mode instead of "client" mode,
allocating all kinds of memory it doesn't need -- and will start to
throw up if it can't allocate memory. If the sipXecs Wiki is easily
editable, I am going to add this because it could be valuable.

To fix this first issue, change your jvm.cfg file as shown. You'll
comment the first line which tells java to assume server mode
IF_SERVER_CLASS is true. After that, you'll add a new line that just
says that client mode is client mode, don't switch to server mode. Leave
the rest of the file as-is.

#-client IF_SERVER_CLASS -server
-client KNOWN
-server KNOWN
-hotspot ALIASED_TO -client
-classic WARN
-native ERROR
-green ERROR

Second issue, and this is related to OpenVZ... Since it's a container
"virtualization" platform, there are some things it can and cannot do.
One of those being swap space. A container does not have its own swap
space. Everything appears as "real" memory in top and free:

Mem:       2097152    1868740     228412          0          0          0
Swap:            0          0          0

But because the java processes appear to have both VIRT and RES memory
allocated, all of this is winding up real memory! The java processes'
VIRT memory alone are using 1.5GB. Astounding if true.

So to get around this weirdness (obviously I can't run multiple sipXecs
installs if every one of them needs 2gb of physical RAM without the
price going up rapidly), with OpenVZ I can provide it with physical RAM
and swap space on the host system. This, in turn, gets presented as
physical RAM to the container.

I've successfully got sipXecs running with 256mb of RAM plus 1792mb of
swap, making the sipXecs container thing it has 2048mb of physical RAM.
So far, everything works fine.

Now, I am not an expert with this stuff so everything I wrote above is
probably totally wrong... :) Please correct me if that's the case, I
really want this to work and am anxious to learn more.

-- Robert