On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Jeff Gilmore <j...@thegilmores.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to get Sipx to send both the caller's phone number as well
> as a 15 character string of user name (or whatever) when placing outbound
> calls to an ISP?  Or is there *only* the 15 character string (which could
> contain either text or a phone number)?
>
> From Wikipedia:
>
> *There are two types of caller ID, number only and name+number. Number
> only caller ID is called **Single Data Message Format** (SDMF), which
> provides the caller's telephone number, the date and time of the call.
> Name+number caller ID is called **Multiple Data Message Format** (MDMF),
> which in addition to the information provided by SDMF format, can also
> provide the directory listed name for the particular number.*
> *
> *
> To say it another way, is there a way that Sipx can send the phone number
> (DID) in a way that it will be recognized as such by the ITSP and then
> transmitted properly across the PSTN such that normal land/cell phones will
> recognize it as the callback number?
>
> I realize I will likely have to work this out with my ITSP, but can you
> tell me what Sipx can do from its side?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

You would need your ITSP to do this or become responsible for your own 911
database, which is complex and problematic if you have it wrong and get
fined.

Sipx can send its own CNAM and subscriber line info when calling another
system directly via sip, and bypassing the telco or an itsp altogther, but
that's really it.

Search the archives for 911 CNAM and you'll find a lot of information on it.