I don't think I'm making any assumptions about how the
existing system works, I was just try to specifiy a simple
requirement for a feature that is not related to IMAP at
all.

One does not need IMAP to send an email via SMTP to a remote
email system.  One only needs IMAP to sychronize message
stores. If the local store is not used and the message is
simply sent off to somewhere else, then no IMAP is ever
involved in what I'm proposing.

I guess I did assume that at the bottom of all the sipXecs
code that sendmail was ultimately used for the delivery of
email off the system...why would one want to write another
SMTP engine?

Are you saying that sendmail is not used and that outbound
SMTP traffic is implimented via some custom java code that
does not do retries as required by the email RFCs?