On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:58:01 -0400, Tony Graziano wrote:
> I simply don't think you understand the difference between an openfire sip
> implementation and ANY other sip implemntation.

I already said this is all surface to me right now. I just started looking into
trying to accomplish this a few days ago.
Yes, I've read that there are many openfire based implementations but it also
sounds like there are others which might be more standard SIP aware. Of course,
that doesn't mean they will be dns srv aware.

> None of them work for video, few of them work for voice in a sip setting.

As I explained in another message, I could live with having two applications if
that's the only way to do it.
Openfire IM/Video-conferencing might be one side, SIP and A/V there might be
another side.

> I'm suggesting the market just is not there yet. I am also trying to point
> out to you there is a HUGE difference in what Openfire calls SIP. Yeah, I
> tried all that. Guess what else, their code base hasn't changed since I
> tried that either.

It's starting to happen right now so it seems worth looking into so that as
something comes out, I'll be aware of it.
Seems I'm far from the only one who would be interested in finding such
solutions. The pieces seem to be coming together so it seems worth looking
into.

> What I find works OK for voice/video? Google talk on an android phone with
> a front facing camera and google talk at the other end in a browser.

Google, microsoft, facebook, anything along those lines is not an option for
me.

> not integrated into sipx. It's not "really" sip. Neither is Openfire,
> neither is sipdroid when you have to use their client and their service to
> make it work.

Nope, but if it works, it's possibly something I can cobble together that would
simply get better over time when I can de-cobble and use better tools. When
nothing exists, you have to find creative ways to accomplish and that's what
I'm trying to do.

> I'm not saying I have all the answers. I am saying I have been there, done
> that. If I had to offer any advice it would be "keep looking". I don't see
> how helpful it is for me to say how much disappointment I have had in
> trying this, repeatedly.

Didn't ask you to tell me about your disappointments but looking for myself
doesn't make me dilusional either.

> At the same time, I don't think you understand the openfire sip
> implementation. I can do OpenMeeting on a server and use it with an android
> (no apple, because it needs flash) phone. But that's not a seamless desktop
> client to the sipx system, it's a browser. neither is openfire a seamless
> client to sipx.

I mentioned that openfire might be a solution. I didn't say it would tie it all
together but if users could meet somewhere in some centralized environment,
that could solve the problem I am having. It's not that I don't understand it,
yet, it's that I haven't even tried it and countless others so don't have any
knowledge of it other than what I am asking. That is what a community is
supposed to be all about right. You ask questions, people try to give answers
and they even often learn by doing just that.

> Really I've tried it. There's not really much to say. Either you are
> talking sip, or something else entirely. I'm talking sipx, and I don't
> think what you are trying to do will work with the state of the apps
> industry as I know it. Prove me wrong and dance when you do.

My purpose isn't to prove anyone wrong, it is to find linux based solutions for
problems.
By doing that, I help the linux community to remain vibrant and innovative
instead of dying off like everything else that Microsoft, google and many other
large companies would love to see.