I think it would have to be in the sip stack so option 1.

Thinking about typical deployments. Home phones coming in
via the SBC, site to site links, etc. These all could be
measured via the SBC, but then what about private WAN/VPN?
They will use direct media connections. The proxy is the
only common component that can track the calls.

Could the sipxproxy maintain the call list and arbitrate?
Even though it is essentially stateless, every call should
have a BYE to end it and if not, a session TIMER could clear
down stale calls. Perhaps it could be mandatory to use the
session timer if admission control is enabled, or a
configurable timer that clears out calls that have gone over
a long period, say 4 hours from the last INVITE/REINVITE.

Just thinking aloud.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for these comments. I am
evaluating open source PBX options. We have been installing
commercial IP PBX products (Zultys, Shoretel) for years. I
set out evaluating the Asterisk distis, but I came back to
sipX after looking at it several times in the past and I was
blown away by how good it is. Just need to do the due
diligence before we commit and I am eagerly following the
4.6 development.
--
Regards

Mark Dutton