From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Mark Dutton
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:18 AM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] Feature request: Admission control

These are all good points, but it doesn't help when you are not using a
gateway device with limited resources, or an ITSP who blocks the nth call.
What about when you have multi site setup where you have handsets in the
field? What about where you have a multi-site sipXecs deployment with a
sipXecs proxy at each site and they new to communicate between each other.
In both of those scenarios, you have the potential to flood your link.

The only way you could get a firewall to create control of this would be if
it was a layer 7 firewall that intercepted the SIP requests and sent back a
4xx failure to the calling end. I don't see this happening any time soon and
it would lead to a raft of compatibility issues and finger pointing when
there were interop problems.
--
Regards

Mark Dutton