Shariq Minhas wrote:
> It is different hardware and I though that might be the issue since the
> client to be issued is a newer Dell server.  However, I did not use the
> --my-modules option when creating the golden client image and when I try to
> use the same CentOS5 kernel to image the client from scratch, it works fine.

If you need to image clients with different hardware it's correct to not
use --my-modules, this is only to save some space when you have identical
clients.

> I'm curious, do the contents of the /dev directory from the golden client
> also get copied over to the client being imaged?

It depends, look at the devstyle in autoinstallscript.conf. If
devstyle="udev" (as it should be with centos5), then the /dev files are
not copied, since the opportune device files will be created dynamically
at run-time by udev. Static /dev is only for old kernels / old distro
that doesn't use udev.

BTW, to fix your problem try to define a post-install script like the
following (see /var/lib/systemimager/scripts/post-install/README for
details):

---
#!/bin/sh
rm -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-8.el5.img
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-8.el5.img 2.6.18-8.el5
---

Be sure to use the same kernel version you've in your image.

This will simply re-create the initrd at the end of the imaging, and it
should include all the needed modules, also the module to properly
recognize the disk. Actually, this should work with totally
heterogeneous clients.

-Andrea