From: Lawson English <lengli...@cox.net>
To: "Frisby, Adam" <a...@deepthink.com.au>
Cc: "sldev@lists.secondlife.com" <sldev@lists.secondlife.com>
Sent: Mon, January 11, 2010 10:05:01 AM
Subject: Re: [sldev] SL 2.0?

Frisby, Adam wrote:
> It's worth pointing out that outside tools are a lot better.
>
> If you add inworld texturing facilities - you are unlikely to get much better
> than MSPaint. Proper texturing requires proper tools (ie, Adobe Photoshop) -
> likewise mesh editing requires decent tools to be effective. Inworld mesh
> editing is really a unnessecary feature; sure you can do it - but it's cart
> before the horse if you don't add mesh support at all first.

There can be many levels of editing tool. The fact that id has gone to
the expense to provide their professional level artists with relatively
high-end in-world tools (even if they aren't as good as the "out-world"
tools) suggests that they have found that there is a need for such tools
to make things look "right."

The fact that SL also involves collaboration/immersion as one of its
main attractions makes it even more important.

Even in MMORPG games, such tools might be of value. If WoW had the
option to build a fort (perhaps using prefab boulders/bricks), as part
of the game play in preparation for some PVP encounter or a quest, I'm
pretty sure that you would find many people wanting to use them.

Lawson
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev