On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:18 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

I just talked with Felix offline about this and we came up with the following solution which should meet the requirements.

As Roy points out we have to distinguish between source and binary distributions (and yes, the ASF does only source releases, I know, however for convenience we're creating binary artifacts as well).

We'll change the NOTICE/LICENCE files in the root ouf the source tree to just mention the stuff contained in the source - in most cases this is just Apache code, except the json stuff. Please note that we still will have a NOTICE/LICENCE pair in the root of each bundle directory as we'll have separate releases of bundles in the future.

In addition we will add a NOTICE/LICENCE file for each bundle under the src/main/resource/META-INF that contains the appropriate info for the binary releases.

Sounds good to me.

There are different opinions about the DISCLAIMER - some people say it's sufficient to have them in a README, some people claim it must be a file named DISCLAIMER - anyways, the incubator docs say it must be "somewhere", so we'll move this into a readme file in the root directory and add the DISCLAIMER file to META-INF for binary releases.

This is the first time I've seen any files called DISCLAIMER.
Maybe that's a byproduct of people using RAT?  README is sufficient.
I personally think only one is required (in the source release).

BTW, wherever I say README or NOTICE or LICENSE, feel free to name
the actual files README.txt or NOTICE.txt or LICENSE.txt -- the file
extension does not effect its legitimacy (and helps many systems).

Finally we'll try to add meaningfull readme files to each bundle, although the current pom's already have some information (might not be perfect though).

Please just focus on the main README for now.  The bundles need some
basic info on why they exist, but not much else.

Everyone ok with this approach?

+1

....Roy