Hi all,

with SLING-748 [1] the script resolution process was extended to
include selectors for non-GET/HEAD request, eg. POST. I now want to
ask to also include the request extension in the script resolution
process for all HTTP methods. Thus you could register those scripts:

/apps/sling/servlet/default/ext.POST.servlet   => handles POST to
...../something.ext
/apps/sling/servlet/default/selector/ext.POST.servlet   => handles
POST to ...../something.selector.ext

This is mostly useful when you are registering a script or servlet for
the default resource type and want to separate them via selectors
and/or extensions, in order to *not* overwrite Sling's default POST
servlet. The use case is somewhat similar to my proposal in SLING-864
[2] - it's about importing files at arbitrary locations in the
repository, ie. when you don't have a specific resource type set on
the path you import into. (In SLING-864 it was even about non-existing
paths).

IMHO it is only consistent to allow round-tripping on the same
resource URL, whereas in both cases a custom servlet is handling the
requests:

POST /some/path.ext   => handled by custom IMmporter servlet at
/apps/sling/servlet/default/ext.POST.servlet
GET /some/path.ext   => handled by custom EXporter servlet at
/apps/sling/servlet/default/ext.servlet

WDYT?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-748
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-864