> >Not to brag, but to a certain degree i feel a line must be drawn. I
> >think things
> >can become *over* simplified and *over* centralized. If people want to
> >point and
> >click maybe free unixs arent the best solution for them. They might just
> >have to
> >live with NT (or whatever) for now.
>
> But this doesn't mean it's not worth trying to simplify setup. Imagine
> what if the phone service were like:
>
> "Before you can receive calls on your phone, you must set up a tone dial
> client.  This is documented in /usr/doc/tonedial-2.3.6/INSTALL, go read
> it, eejit."

Yes but your phone has really just one purpose, to place phone calls,
(well except for fancy new phones, and most of them do require some form
of documentation to use). A computer on the other hand is a far more advanced
piece of technology which allows you to use it for many things.

Simplifying is all well and good, until it begins to actually reduce the
utility, which I think is the point of the previous comments.

If you don't want toread howtos and such like there are plenty of options,
pdas a pretty intuitive for what they do, there are firewalls and routers
that you can buy as a peice of hardware that don't require the setup
involved in setting up a linux box, there are print servers you can buy
rather than set up a computer etc etc.

The point is that people aim to do a wide variety of things with their
 computers and all require a different setup so this can only be
simplified to a certain extent.

</rave>

Cheers,

Benno