|Who upgrades on a mass basis? And the littleness
|gives peope more desk space. ;)
|
|They also shouldnt be bad linux boxes.
|
|I have no gripes with inbuilt stuff when you
|get such a size difference. Certainly home
|machines benefit from upgradability though.
|
|I wouldnt buy such a thing. But they suit
|our needs well.

I have a thin client box, fanless, that has an onboard 8139. There would
be no way to achieve the small size and fanlessness without integrating
the NIC. Works fine. As NIC chips have become commodity items, you're
going to see more integration. It wasn't so long ago that an addon 16550
serial board costs as much as a NIC now.