<snipt>

> To second the motion, I have had some intermittent problems with the intel
> 82559. On a Slackware 7.1 box, it seemed to work fine for a week or more
but
> would occasionally dump the interface with errors similar to
>
> RX buffer not available
> TX buffer not available
>
> Rebooting (eek!) was necessary to bring it back on line.
>
> It might have been a driver issue... but I would have thought 7.1 would be
> fairly up to date...  Anyways I ripped it out and threw in a cheapy
Netgear
> which is doing very well. ;)

IIRC One of the Netgear cards is tulip based.. The tulip cards are pretty
rock solid (at least I've never had a problem with them and apparently
that's what Donald Becker was using for a long time hence the highly
optimised drivers) and the Netgear cards are nice and cheap.. Not a bad
combo..

BTW incase you dont know the tulip is the DEC 21XXX (plenty of variants and
manufacturers)

dan.